Friday, October 7, 2011

Evernote in Commercial Real Estate……
Here are questions that I kept asking myself:
·         Where did I save the note about the phone conversation I had last Friday? 
·         I am not in the office and need the details of the phone call with David regarding the Main St Building.
·         What do I do when I come across an article that I want to read? I don’t have time to read it immediately or I want to save it and re-read later.
·         What do I do with the notes that I took on my yellow pad when I was in the meeting with my client today?
·         Which one of the 100 post it notes on my desk did I write that phone number on?
I now use Evernote. It helps me “Remember Everything”.  I have set up Evernote on my PC computer, iPad, iPhone, & Laptop (I can’t remember the last time I used my laptop, but Evernote is there just in case).
 Evernote allows me to keep up with conversations that I have, general property information, client information, Articles that I need to read or have read and want to keep for future reverence and my to-do list. Currently I have set up the 9 notebooks in Evernote: Clients, Listings, Prospects, Articles, City, NEW NOTES, Personal, Tasks, & Technology. I also have set up 44 tags in Evernote. Several of them are: today, Errand, client name, building name, Need to call.
I have limited the number of notebooks that I use. Just about everything I do can be filed into one of my notebooks and from here I can easily search my tags.
When someone calls I immediately open a new note in Evernote, either on my computer or iPad. After making the notes from my phone call, I add it to the appropriate notebook.  Then I tag the note.  Several notes have multiple tags on them. Examples of tags can be - The clients name, the building name, today - if I need to do something with this note today, errand - if I need to do something with this note while I am out of the office. The tags create easy searches when I need to find the note.
I also have Evernote linked to my internet browser and my outlook. When I am looking at a website and want to save the site or article for future use. I click the Evernote icon and can quickly choose a notebook and tag the website. Now it is saved for future use. When someone sends me an e-mail that I need to keep for follow up or use as a reference. I can click the Evernote icon quickly choose a notebook and tag the e-mail.
When I am out of the office I have several techniques that I use with Evernote.  In the tools of Evernote, you can set up an Evernote e-mail address.  If I get an e-mail while I am out of the office that needs following up on or I don’t have time to reply. I can forward it to Evernote. These e-mails are set to go into New Notes and can easily be tagged or filed when I have time. Since Evernote is on my iPhone I can quickly make notes, file and save them. 
Another app that I use is Noteshelf. This app allows me to write on my iPad with a stylus. After I take notes I can save them in Noteshelf or export them.  The export feature allows me to e-mail the note, export to dropbox, or export Evernote.
Evernote has something called the Evernote Trunk. I encourage you to take a look at the apps that are compatible with Evernote. There may be an app that allows you to use evernote in another way that I have not seen or in a way to help in your business. I also would encourage you to follow them on twitter on to reach